A day full of surprises

2019.01.06. 22:52 |
From the top teams in the league only Csíkszereda managed to win.

FTC-Telekom-Fehérvári Titánok 1-5 (1-3, 0-1, 0-1)

The game started well for the visitors as they already had a 1-0 lead at the end of the first minute of play by the way of Jack Lewis when he put home a centering pass from Patrik Kiss. Fehérvár took the momentum and ran with its Bence Balogh scored a powerplay goal. FTC responded to this when Adrián Tóth centered a pass to Brett Switzer who banged it home. The goals kept coming as a half minute later Mark Bennett made it 3-1. In the second period Fradi was not able to get any closer, in the 27th minute Donát Szita made it 4-1 for the visitors. In the final period the game started to get chippy as Fehérvár had eight penalty minutes and Fradi had six minutes however neither team was able to convert on their chances. In the final period FTC had 22 shots on net. With three minutes left in the game Ferencváros called a timeout, soon after they pulled their goalie for the extra attacker. In the end Ákos Mihály set up Patrik Kiss for the empty net goal and the 5-1 win.

Szabolcs Fodor, head coach, FTC: We are not in an easy situation we only had eight forwards available, the same way we did against MAC in the Cup semifinal. These are the situations where you really need to give a 100% and to concentrate at a max level. We were not able to concentrate in the first 30 minutes of the game, after that we were not able to beat their goalie. Fehérvár did what they had to and I congratulate them.

David Kiss, head coach, Fehérvár: We have to thank the great goaltending and the key was that we did not allow a power play goal being scored against. It is always hard to play against FTC, we tried our best and we were able to win today.

SC Csíkszereda-Dunaújváros Acélbikák 4-0 (1-0, 2-0, 1-0)
Csíkszerda was playing without Tihamér Becze who was suspended. The first line was really generating a lot of offense in the game, however DAB did not just lie down for them. Just before the end of the opening period Norbert Rokaly put in an Alpár Salló rebound for the 1-0 lead. DAB was more active at the start of the second period Taratukhin scored twice with Krasnoslobodtsev assisting on both goals. In the closing period Anisin set up Botond Flinta for the fourth Csíkszereda goal of the game.

Don MacAdam, head coach, Csíkszereda: All four of our lines played great today and our defence did not allow them to have many chances. We had some players missing so we had some improvised lines which was great to see that they were working. The guys made some great decisions today.

Corey Bricknell, head coach, Dunaújváros: We had our chances at the start of the game but we did not convert on them today. Later we were not disciplined which hurt us as we tried to get back into the game, it is hard to score goals from the penalty box.

Gyergyói HK-UTE 3-0 (0-0, 1-0, 2-0)
UTE controlled the pace of the game early on but they were not able to score any goals. At the start of the second period they had a power play but did not score on that either. Hunor Csergő scored in the 29th minute to make it 1-0. Later in the period Gyergyó had a two man advantage that UTE was able to survive. In the third period Igor Bobcek scored a power play goal to double the home team’s lead. Gellért Ruczuj stopped a total of 52 UTE shots for the shutout win. In the end Pavel Vorobjev tacked on an empty net goal.

DEAC-HK Budapest 4-5 (0-1, 2-1, 2-3)
Lajos Gönczi made his ERSTE Liga debut against the Budapest team. The visiting team scored first ny the way of Márk Egyed. At the start of the second period Norbert Hári scored a power play goal to tie it up, a minute later Hári scored on a penalty shot to give DEAC the first lead of the game. In the 25th minute Tibor Albert scored to make it 2-2. In the third period Novotny took advantage of a power to give DEAC the one goal lead, HK Budapest and Satek answered back. The visitors kept on pushing which paid off as Dávid Jancsó and Ottó Szopos both scored. With the win HK Budapest ended an 11 game losing streak.

David Musial, head coach, DEAC: This was not our best game of the season, we knew that we had to be their mentally today, but this did not happen for everyone. Gönczi played well in his first game in the ERSTE Liga.

Tamás Gröschl, head coach, HK Budapest: We had a number of games this season where we lost the game in the third period. In the past we played with stress, we tried to get past this in the last few days. I asked the guys to play to their best, I don1t think I have seen the guys block this many shots this season. I hope we were able to rise a level today.

Vienna Capitals-Corona Brasov 2-1 (1-0, 1-0, 0-1)
The Capitals controlled the game from start to finish as they outshot Brasov in each period. Bauer scored in the first period with Ranftl at the midway point of the game. In the 44th minute Tendler scored the only goal for Brasov.